Friday, March 6, 2009

Warehouse Clubs...Deal or Not!

Warehouse Clubs can result in great deals from a Dell Laptop to 36 bottles of spring water. But that does not mean that every product in the aisles of Costco, BJ's or Sam's Club is always a good deal.

Here is what I have found.
Alcohol, milk, butter, eggs, meats, electronics and prescription medicines are great deals. For instance prescription medicines are routinely 50% lower than drug store prices. The meat department in these clubs are top notch butcher shops with supermarket prices. I buy my meat in bulk and split it into freezer bags for several meals.

The Not so Good Deals.
Toilet paper, paper towels, especially recently have skyrocketed at local clubs. I found Charmin 36 roll for $20.99 at Costco, that is over 58 cents per roll. I would keep your eye out for sales at Target and Walmart combined with a coupon, you will get a better per roll price.

Designer clothes , not such a good deal. I have found that stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls have a better selection and better prices.

I found a pair of men's Perry Ellis dress pants at Costco for $19.99, the same pants at TJ Maxx were marked down to $14.99. Watch those sales and clearance deals!

Can you justify the cost of the warehouse club membership? At $40- $100. It all depends on the size of your family, how much you will be buying per trip and do you have any big ticket items that you will be purchasing during the year.

I have saved a ton of money at Costco. I have made most of my big ticket item purchases there. For instance last year we bought all of our pool furniture and a Plasma TV. Literally, saving hundreds of dollars and getting $200.00 back from their rebate. My membership pays for itself.

A good way to try it out is to take advantage of the"free pass" days that many of the clubs offer throughout the year. This allows you to check out the club and even make a purchase. Also keep in mind if you buy a membership at any time you can request a refund on the unused portion if you are not satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment